Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I Survived the PTA

The PTA went pretty darn well tonight. The plan was to teach my lesson for about 30 minutes while the parents watched from the back. Then, I would have each student come to the front of the class and read their favorite composition (approximately 30 minutes). Finally, I would spend the second hour speaking with the parents about what we have done in class thus far, and what we are going to do for the next 4 months, or so. The kids go to another room for the 2nd hour. Well, it didn't quite work out that way. I got pretty wrapped up in my lesson and it ran about 45 minutes. Also, the readings took a bit longer than I thought because my boss wanted them, after they read them in English, to quickly translate and read their papers in Chinese for the benefit of the parents...it was goofy. After all of this concluded, I realized that I only had about 30 minutes to talk to the parents. This turned out to be a blessing because I really didn't have a whole lot to say. I essentially reassured them that I am working hard developing this class and their kids are gonna be learning a lot in the near future. It was a quickie progress report as far as the class agenda is concerned. It's very difficult to speak when your every sentence has to be translated for you. I think it went pretty well. We'll see what the boss says tomorrow, she watched the whole thing...yikes!

No comments: