Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Another Pleasant Surprise

After every class I have to sign the students homework books. These books contain what we did in class that day and the homework they have to do for the next class. I sign them to let the parents know they are official, I guess? Anyhow, Sandra, my best student, was at the end of the line of students. When it came to her turn she handed me her book and a wrapped gift!! I was stunned. It wasn't my birthday, or any other special occasion. She just smiled and said she was visiting a really neat place last weekend and bought it for me. It's a necklace with all kinds of cool colors...amazing.

Prior to signing the books, I was helping her with some of her English homework from her regular school and gushing about how wonderful she is. I reinforced that I am here to help her with anything she needs and that I think she will be an incredible English speaker if she continues to work hard at it.

Scenes like this are one of the main reasons I love my job. Such wonderful expressions of appreciation without strings attached. This young girl simply wanted to thank me for doing my job and helping her better herself. I just beam when stuff like this happens. It makes me want to work even harder to be the best teacher these kids have ever, or will ever have. Why would I ever want to do anything other than teach??????

No comments: