Sunday, September 03, 2006

World Map Project

I have been thinking about putting together one of those giant, wall-sized World maps at the school. I helped put one together when I was in Honduras, it's lots of fun. I'm gonna get 3 or 4 of my students to help me paint the outlines of all the countries, and then have all the other kids volunteer to paint one country each. It's a really cool project. The map will be about five feet tall and 8 to 10 feet wide, I hope. I think my kids here will have a million great questions and I am sure I can come up with a bunch of activities related to the map.

The most difficult aspect of putting this together is getting an over-head projector. I don't think the school has one. You use the projector to project the image of the map to the wall. The first step to making one of these maps is to make a copy of a map onto a transparency so that you can use a projector to aid in the tracing of the map borders. If I can't get a projector, this project will be extremely tough. My boss will give me to cash for the paint, I think. She doesn't skimp when it comes to school improvements.

I have a meeting with her this week and I am going to discuss this idea with her.

Wish me luck with this one and stay tuned for updates on the progress of the map.

No comments: