Wednesday, September 20, 2006

It's More Than A Paycheck

I signed a new contract this past week. If you have been following my blogging, you know that I have been anticipating this event. I had planned on going into the meeting with an agenda. The agenda included a decent pay raise. The meeting took place a few days ago and much to my surprise, I didn't have to debate my boss on one matter. She expressed her satisfaction with the job I have done and gave me the exact amount of pay raise that I had planned on asking for...I didn't even have to ask!

Regardless of the pay raise, I love my job! Making lots of money is a great thing, but so is contentment. The positive atmosphere and wonderful reinforcement I get from my boss and co-workers is priceless. I will never get rich doing this work, but I will sleep well at night.

Just this past week, I have had several great interactions with my students. Tonight, one of my students took my picture so that she could include me in one of her projects at her regular school. Anne, the student with the project, is exceptional. She is a kind-hearted, hard-working kid that always brings a smile to my face. She is very quiet and shy, but I can always get a giggle or two out of her. I think she is going to be a teacher, a GREAT teacher.

As much as I'd like to live closer to everyone back home, it looks like I am going to be here at least another year.

No comments: