Friday, January 06, 2006

Chinese Food and My Bowels

Still struggling with the food here. There have been some bright spots but they are few and far between. I LOVE fried dumplings, or pot stickers as they're known in the States. On the flip side, nothing, I mean nothing is more repulsive than stinky tofu (that's the name, I didn't make it up). This stuff smells so bad it causes me to have a gag reflex just walking by one of the stands. At the Shilin night market, there is an entire section of the market designated for the sale of this stuff. I literally run through this area because the smell is so painful. It's tofu cooked in some sort of nasty oil...trust me, it's gross. Asians have an uncanny knack for adding scary pastes/sauces/goos to perfectly good food. A classic example is bread, what looks like a perfectly good loaf of bread all to often turns into a loaf stuffed with an unidentifiable black or green paste...not a very comfy experience. Food here is a test of courage. I have to admit, I haven't been very courageous to this point...I think I put too much value in solid bowel movements to be too adventurous when it comes to eating here...lol

No comments: