Monday, October 03, 2005

My Typical Day

A look at my typical day at work

2:20p.m. Leave the hostel
2:25 Arrive at the train station
2:27 Buy my ticket (19 NT Dollars, about 60 cents american) & a newspaper (15 NT Dollarsabout 45 cents american)
2:34 Catch a train going South
2:55 Arrive in Shulin (the suburb where I work)
2:56 Buy an iced tea at the 7-11 store
3:00 Get to office & clock in
3:00 - 5:00 Prepare for the evenings classes, chat with my co-workers, play with the kids, eat dinner.
5:00 - 9:00 Teach a few classes, give a test, or grade papers. I rarely will teach for more than 2 hours a night. Oral tests (seems like I am the official test administrator at the school) often take about 1.5 hours. On nights when I have a test to give, I may only teach for one hour, or not at all. It seems like about 2 or 3 nights a week I have to do the test thing.
9:11 My train departs for home
9:40 Usually arrive home at about this time.

It's a pretty good set-up. It allows me to get things done during the day. Eventually, I hope to find some private tutoring work in the daytime. I can make a lot of money tax-free tutoring. Also, in a few months, I am thinking about enrolling in some Chinese classes. It's a great skill.

No comments: