Thursday, October 20, 2005

Dubya is an Idiot

On a completely unrelated topic, I'm sad I'm not in the U.S. to witness the unraveling of the Bush Administration. Thankfully I've been able to keep up via BBC News and the local English language newspaper. The recent poll numbers are remarkably low. I like to think of myself as pretty knowledgable about politics, I've never seen such a lack of respect for the man in the Oval Office. I read today that only 2% of African Americans approve of the job Dubya has done...lol...2%...that is insane.

Perhaps this is a wake up call for the U.S.? It's time for a major shift in our approach to governing. We need to stop this preoccupation with warfare, paranoia, and religious postering. Someone much smarter than me once said "a society is only as strong as it's weakest members"...paraphrasing. Let's get off of our lazy butts and work on strengthening education, job-training, and making sure all Americans are earning living-wages. These past 5 years have been cold. Regardless of how you feel about Bill Clinton (I'm not his biggest fan), it always felt like there was some compassion coming from the White House during his years.

I don't apologize for being a bleeding-heart liberal. I can't imagine believing otherwise. Let's see, we've spent about $100 billion on the war in Iraq. I'm thinking that money could've been put to better use rebuilding the crumbling inner-city schools across the country, or spent on an initiative to retrain the millions of Americans losing their jobs every day.

Call me crazy, but I think the U.S. needs a change of direction.

No comments: