Friday, February 29, 2008

I Love My Catherine

About two-and-a-half years ago, I stumbled into a convenience store blinded by thirst and exhaustion. That morning I had arrived in Taiwan after a seemingly endless plane flight from the U.S. After several minutes of hemming and hawing over the bizarre selection of beverages I lurched over to the counter to pay for my iced tea. This, my friends, was a pivotal moment in my life! Behind the counter was this cute-as-can-be Chinese girl with a smile that could light up a room. As tired as I was, I managed a smile and tried to take in as much of her as I could. Being the nerd that I am, I am sure that I acted pretty dorky and didn't leave much of an impression. Most of that day is pretty fuzzy in the memory-bank. I quickly went back up to the hostel I was staying at and told the owner that I was determined to get to know the sexy woman working at the Family Mart downstairs. For the next several months I made it a point to make frequent trips to the store whether or not I needed anything, just to get to know Catherine. I amassed an impressive collection of teas and chips in my room...lol.

After my extended stay at the hostel, I moved across town to my current apartment. Although I couldn't see her quite so often, my resolve remained strong.

It took me more than a year after that first encounter to finally ask her on a date. Again, I am not the smoothest operator when it comes to women...I think that's painfully obvious to those who know me...lol. I was so unsure/nervous because of the language and cultural barriers.

Obviously, she took a chance and allowed me to take her out to dinner and to a local festival that was going on at the time. That dinner and festival was a year ago this weekend.

This past year has been remarkable.

She is my inspiration, my heart, my sunshine, my love.

She walks in beauty,
Like the night of cloudless climes and starry skies;

And all that's best of dark and bright

Meet in her aspect and her eyes.

-Byron

7 comments:

cfimages said...

Congrats on the first anniversary.

David said...

Thanks Craig. It's been a fun year.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading this blog on and off and I have to say, You sound a little psychotic.

What're going to do if you ever break up?

Congratulations on being with your partner for 1 year - I don't get why that's such a monumental thing - but all the best to you anyway.

David said...

lol I definitely have some issues, but psychotic??

This post was merely a tribute to the woman that I love...

Sorry if I don't have an answer regarding breaking up...that's not something I spend a whole lot of time contemplating.

I happen to think a year in a relationship is a pretty good accomplishment.

Sorry if I irked you. I hope you continue reading.

-David

Anonymous said...

I think that's a beautiful story. Nice to know there's still some romance and passion left in our world.

David said...

Thanks Fili. I am a lucky guy.

Andre said...

congrats david!