Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Socialized" Medicine is NOT Evil

I woke up yesterday and my left eye itched horribly. I figured something must've got in my eye while I was sleeping. I went to the bathroom and did my best to get it out. I washed it out and rubbed it to no avail. It was driving me crazy. I spent the rest of the afternoon thinking that it would go away if I was patient...it didn't.

I went to work moaning and groaning the whole way. After my first class, I decided that I needed to see a doctor. Luckily there is an eye doctor on the 3rd floor of the building I work in. I headed down there and within about 15 minutes I was being examined. Dr. Dennis, the ophthalmologist, thoroughly examined my eye and said that I scratched it in my sleep. He even took the time to sketch out the damage to my eye on a piece of paper. Perhaps I hit the wrong part of the pillow? Not sure. The doc was very thorough and his English was near-perfect. Later in the appointment I found out that he had studied for a while at Duke University...bingo!

He said that I needed to avoid long-term exposure to reading and my computer for the next few days and he also gave me two types of eye-drops; one for dryness and the other to fight any infection. I was very satisfied with the whole process and left there feeling relieved.

A walk in appointment at 7:30 in the evening.
Wait-time of about 15 minutes.
Comprehensive exam.
Two medical assistants to help with the paperwork.
Two separate medications.

How much money did all this cost me?
$4.56 American

Enough said.

No comments: