Saturday, August 25, 2007

Taiwan & Honduras

This news headlines this past week here in Taiwan have been dominated by President Chen's visit to Central America. The visit was a chance to meet with some of the nations that enjoy open relations with Taiwan...yes, there are still a few. Twenty or so countries have resisted jumping on the "One-China" philosophy, therefore recognizing Taiwan as a sovereign state. Not, in my opinion, the smartest economic move. Cooperation with Taiwan does not bode well with the mainland.

Anyhow, the purpose of this post is to express my joy at seeing one of my favorite places on the planet, Honduras. The pictures and stories that have been included in the reporting have stirred some good memories.

My year in the jungles of Honduras was a wonderful time in my life. I have never met better folks than those living in the less-than-ideal environment that is Central America.

The smiles on the faces and the endless hospitality that prevails there are priceless. I am really enjoying my time here in Taiwan, but I do miss that just happy to be alive mentality that runs deep in Honduras. Folks here are far too hurried and wouldn't dare to exhibit the overt acts of affability that you can count on when you are living/working/visiting Central America.

Taiwan, along with the rest of the world, should take a cultural cue from Honduras and their neighbors...loosen up and enjoy life.

No comments: