Sunday, June 03, 2007

Goodbye Shulin (Tons o' Pictures)

The following are pictures taken during my last few days of teaching at the Shulin branch. These kids are the greatest. It was an emotional few days for me, I will never forget them. These are the kids that have helped me become a much better teacher. They inspire me every day.

It was a privilege to teach these kids.

My desk. Gabbing with kids and being silly as they stopped by was my favorite work-time exercise.

"They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel." -Unknown

1093. The group that started it all. I would take any of these kids as my own. I love each and every one of them.

What a group. They stuck with me even though I pushed them really hard. All of them lead lives that many western adults wouldn't be able to handle...their work-load is daunting.

"It is not so much what is poured into the student, but what is planted that really counts." -Unknown

Of course Tiger (in the green shirt) was being silly. He is considerably younger than the rest of the kids but nonetheless did well. He is a very happy little boy who loved to tease Teacher David.

Sherry. She showed off her dancing skills as part of the entertainment during my going away party. She's got some serious moves.

Olivia was supposed to accompany Sherry in the dance routine but I think she got cold feet. Her and Olivia struggled through most of the past year, but I think they are going to be just fine.

Silly Chris getting ready to wow the crowd with his magic. He can handle the cards very well.

He has one of those smiles that's infectious. Everyone in the class was impressed with his trickery.

Milton. What a kid. A very serious student but I was able to occasionally get him to giggle. A real pleasure to teach.

1106. This group is far wackier than 1093. They are quite a bit younger than 1093, too. Every day was challenge with this group.

The standing on their chairs thing was a spur of the moment decision. I thought it would make for some fun pics. They follow so many rules every day, it was time to break one!

Everything was all well and fine until one of the boys in the back bumped the clock on the wall and it fell and shattered into a million pieces...lol.

This is Alice, Ariel, and Tammy. They pretty much set the pace for the class. These three were always near the top of the grades chart, along with Evan. They were always a good source of silliness when the lessons got intense. These girls are going to conquer the world.

Evan chowing down during our pizza party. I treated 1106 to a pizza party on my last day because they reached a really tough goal I set for them. They amassed 300 perfect quizzes in about 3 months...not an easy thing to do.

Little Doris. She is going to be a teacher some day, I think. A fun little girl who works hard. Her and her sister are students at the school, cute as can be.

"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teachers demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Ward


David. A quiet boy with a smile that doesn't quit. He really liked the pizza.

Eddy. Not one of the top students in the class when it comes to grades, but he always works hard and has an excellent attitude.

These two, Maggie & Anna, came into the class late. They have only been my students for a couple of months. Both of them are exceptional.


"A hundred years from now it will not matter how much was in my bank account, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child." -Kathy Davis

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a really special day for teacher David ^^

You are really a good teacher,otherwise,your students would not do that for you.

I'm so sorry that you are going to leave.
But I believe you will have the best behivor on everything.
Don't forget such a big trouble like me.
I'm sure we will always be good friends!!^^

Anonymous said...

I can't talk with you every day.

Anonymous said...

We came back to Taiwan and headed straight for Gram only to find out that you've moved to another branch! We'll have to get together with you and Catherine for a chow-down and some catching up! Gram certainly won't be the same without you!