Thursday, July 21, 2005

Visa & Loralee

I got my visa yesterday. I can now enter the Republic of China anytime in the next year. For those of you who wondering, Taiwan is still officially part of China. It's a big mess and I'm not really sure what it all means. Taiwan is a much more progressive place than mainland China.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to have lunch with one of my good friends who was with me in Honduras. She came home for a few weeks to visit family & friends. Loralee has an infectious attitude/smile. You can't help but enjoy spending time with her. Visiting with her brought back many wonderful memories. I really miss being part of that great group down there. Lately I have been getting some encouraging emails from several folks in the group intimating that they might be interested in visiting me once they finish up in Honduras...that would be awesome.

I need to start thinking about packing for the move. This is going to be kinda tricky. When I packed for Honduras I felt like I had to take EVERYTHING because of the lack of resources there. That wasn't totally off-base. I think I may have gone a bit overboard but everything turned out fine. This trip is very different. Life in Taiwan, as far as availability of day-to-day resources is concerned, is light-years ahead of Honduras. For some crazy reason I am still a bit stressed out about packing effectively. Thus far my essentials include clothes, shoes, music, movies, and some teaching essentials.

For anyone interested in teaching in Taiwan, here are a few excellent sites:

www.tealit.com
www.eslcafe.com
www.forumosa.com
http://users2.ev1.net/~turton/teach_index.html

These sites have helped me a ton.

No comments: