Monday, May 14, 2007

At the Movies...


Catherine and I caught the latest installment of the Spiderman series Sunday night. We went to the 7:50 showing. A little earlier than we usually go because it's a long movie, about two hours and a half hours. I was surprised to see the theater was not even half full. I think it's probably because they are showing it on two or three screens. There couldn't have been more than about 50 people in the room, yet we were all scrunched into the middle. I had someone in front, behind, and next to me...I hate that. The whole assigned seating things bugs me.

Last week I read quite a few bad reviews about Spiderman 3. Most of them said it bit off more than it could chew, too many story lines. After seeing the movie, I kind of agree. I felt like I was watching 3 movies in one. Several villains to fight, girlfriend issues, and dealing with his fame made Spidey a busy guy in this one. It was an enjoyable movie as long as you didn't expect to get too deep into any of the above story lines. The action was great, very well filmed. I thought Sandman was a very cool bad guy, excellent effects. The portion of the movie dealing with the dark side of Spiderman was especially enjoyable. I loved the James Brown-like groove scene. I think they could have dedicated an entire movie Evil Spidey. I was shocked to see that there wasn't any indication of his next adventure at the end of the movie. Usually they give you a peek at what's next...

Overall, I enjoyed the movie and so did Catherine. I think it was probably the best of the three in the series. Rumor has it that Tobey Maquire doesn't want to play the role anymore. Why would you want to walk away from such a killer gig?

No comments: