Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Fair Play?

As I mentioned a few posts ago, I am coaching one of my students for an upcoming speech competition. The contests are a big deal here. Sandra, my student, wrote a very nice speech about a crazy vacation she took a few years ago. It's a fun composition with a fair amount of grammar mistakes. This is to be expected considering she is in the process of learning the language. I have been giving her tips and prompting her to keep working hard to make it a great speech. A few days ago, my boss asked me how it was going. I told her that Sandra was rewriting it and figuring out how long the speech is, it has to be between two and two-and-a-half minutes. My boss looked at me with a frown. She asked me why I wasn't writing the speech for her. I told her that it was Sandra's speech, not mine. She proceeded to tell me that the teacher usually writes the speech to ensure that it includes a good amount of the grammar the student is currently learning. I couldn't help but laugh when she told me this. I calmly told her that I don't work that way. This is Sandra's speech, not mine. She wasn't thrilled to hear that. Apparently, the only thing that matters is winning. This is a multi-school contest and a trophy gives a school some serious bragging rights. That being said, I am not gonna cheat. I have already spoken to Sandra about this and explained to her that I am not worried about her performance...she is awesome and this is about having fun. If she loses, it won't be because she sucks. It'll be because she is one of the few kids that actually utilized her skills. I know this is gonna get me in trouble with my boss. Screw it, I am not going play the game. All that matters is that Sandra knows she did the right thing.

No comments: